August 17, 2013

IMPRESSIONS

School starts on Tuesday.  I am switching grades, and with that comes a lot of stress.  When I was a first year teacher, I was nervous, but because I had never experienced it, I had a healthy naivete about how much work was in store for me.  This year, I feel like I am going into my first year again, but with a full knowledge of how much work it really is.

 



Thursday was just one of "those" days.  I have been working extremely hard to set up my class and be prepared for my 29 sweet little eight year olds.  I have never been so prepared for a school year, but I've also never been so exhausted at the beginning of a school year.  So after a rough day -- one of those days where everything goes wrong (I mean, I went to the doctor to see if I had chicken pox!) -- I cried, and cried, and cried.

Clayton came swooping in to give me a little pep talk and love, and after a few tears, I again had my vision.  I can do this.  I get better every year.  I have to prioritize and realize that I am not perfect, and I am okay with that.

I knew that I needed the uplift that comes from hearing truth, so I read this talk.  I really love President Uctdorf -- he has such vision and understanding.



Here is my favorite paragraph:
"I think of our Lord and Exemplar, Jesus Christ, and His short life among the people of Galilee and Jerusalem. I have tried to imagine Him bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things accomplished.

I can’t see it.

Instead I see the compassionate and caring Son of God purposefully living each day. When He interacted with those around Him, they felt important and loved. He knew the infinite value of the people He met. He blessed them, ministered to them. He lifted them up, healed them. He gave them the precious gift of His time."
I want to be a perfect wife, make awesome healthy meals, have a killer body (let's be honest...), be an amazing teacher, have a house as clean as my mom's or sister's, read a zillion books, run a 2-hour half marathon, and many, many other things.

But there is a learning point here.  God is giving me some perspective. 

Love others. Most important.
Love myself. Without this, I can accomplish nothing.
Love God. He will help me.

Everyone is always juggling responsibilities, right?  The nature of life is that there are balls that will inevitably fall.

Even so, I am reminded of what is most important, which items I need to focus my energy on, and I know that my failures will be much less bitter if I can remember these things.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you're feeling right now, Em. Thanks for your thoughts, I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em so glad you are still posting on the blog even though you are so tired. So, chicken pox? Verdict? So glad you're getting everything checked out. I can't believe how well you are managing everything on your plate right now, and it's a lot of stuff! Emotionally you must just be spent, good thing you have such an awesome work out schedule. Hit up that yoga class for sure. You will be so great with your class, I too know just what you mean. I have been beating myself so much the last two or three days - I always do this after coming back from Lelers/Cindy's house. All the attention to detail! I'll get there someday!! It's hard not feeling like you're meeting your own expectations. It makes me feel down and I hate feeling down. I like this talk, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

© Light & Liveliness. Powered by