December 16, 2013

WORKOUT RECAP

Last week was quite hectic, so I didn't end up writing my previous week's recap.  I'm back on the bandwagon, people!

I have to upgrade my teaching license by June, or it expires, and part of the process is taking a test.  I took that test on Saturday, so studying really affected my workouts.



{Monday} Just over 4 miles on the treadmill.  I wanted to go farther, but I knew that the more responsible choice was to go home and study before bed.  So, that's what I did.

I realized this week, that I almost always max out at 4-5 miles on the treadmill.  I used to wimp out at 1 mile, because I hated it so much, so I guess I've improved, but this winter seems like it is going to demand a lot of treadmill runs.  My goal this week is to run on the treadmill for more than 5 miles.

{Tuesday} Power pump class.

Do you have workouts where you are doing it, but you're just out of it?  That was Tuesday.  I was so zoned out and disinterested.  My muscles must have been engaged though, because I was sore for days afterward.

**Help me out!  These classes make me sooo sore.  I have been going fairly regularly since February, and they still kick my butt.  That is why I love the class.  However, I need to recover more quickly, because the last few weeks I've skipped my subsequent workouts due to my soreness.  Any tips for recovery?

I know that taking a slow short run the next day actually helps, even though the first 5 minutes or so seem painful.

{Wednesday} Rest

{Thursday} Rest

{Friday} I wanted to run, but I needed to study, so I rode the stationary bicycle, instead for 40 minutes.

{Saturday} 7 miles run.  The temperature had risen (see below) to an almost balmy 20 degrees. ;)

This run was good for me.  I went out, really wanting to get in a long run (I hadn't run more than 4 miles since my half marathon).  It was cold, but I bundled up.  I run for like 5 minutes, and then decided I'll just do a workout later, this is no fun.  Honestly, I was worried that I'd run for 3.5 miles, and then freeze to death without any way to get home.  I had my phone on me, so I'm not sure what my rationale was.  I think I was just looking for any excuse to go get cozy.


So I ran back to my car, and right as I got to my car, I saw a couple running together.  I guess seeing them made me realize that it wasn't that cold, and I would be just fine.  So I turned around again, after completing 1 mile, and went out to do the next 6.  Glad I didn't wimp out.

This Week's Plan:
Monday: Run 6 miles
Tuesday: Power pump
Wednesday: 3-5 recovery miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Leg and arm weights/body weight workout
Saturday: Run 6 miles

Does anyone else find running in the winter, on empty trails, creepy, or am I the only one?
Do you run in the winter, or do you stick to a treadmill?
How do you recover from your lifting workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Light & Liveliness. Powered by